Tuesday, October 03, 2006

An Auspicious Re-start.

I just got my first ding of the recruiting season.
From a firm that I didn't even apply to!

Everything is Right again with my world :-)

Welcome back, gentle reader. Trust you me when I say that I have missed blogging as much as regular readers tell me they have missed reading my rants. I decided to, for symmetry's sake, mirror my blogging habits with my career path these past few months - and take the summer off! Yup, I am back at school after a relaxing summer. But, that's past. And, as I recall, we focus on the immediate present on this blog.

Like, last night.

So, yesterday was the deadline to apply to one of the top (oh, how they love that word, don't they) consulting firms. After a night of debauchery with the secretly hip Le Voyageur on saturday, I went brunching with a friend I helped move sunday morning, then stopped by CB2 to pick up some furniture etc for my hipster loft in the Chicago Arts District, walked around some of the Open Houses, comissioned my first piece of (very inexpensive) tile art from my artist neighbor Vanessa Shinmoto, grabbed some dinner, and got home around 9 PM to start working on the online application.

Nada.

See, I just moved into my new place, and as I wait for my internet connection to be set up, I'm leeching off the open network of some kindly neighbor. I guess the said Kindly neighbor decided to get un-kindly and added protection to his network. Last evening. So, I'm sitting here like 2 hours to the deadline and no internet access. Jumped in my car, raced to school, and booted up. Finished up my cover letter (and checked to make sure I wasn't saying firm B instead of M), readied my resume and logged into the website.

Deja Vu. I'm sure that was what it was. I had, once again, not realized that 12 PM is in the afternoon, not midnight! Well, what r'you gonna do. Deadline blown by like 10 hours, I tried to submit just in case, but the system was so broken that it took me 2 hours just to get to page 3. So, I shoot off an email to the recruiting manager with my cover letter and resume, basically apologizing for being a jackass. And, I came back home. Woke up this morning, no internet access at home, so go to school, got stuff taken care of, and check my email. There's one from the recruiter. Basically said that it would be OK if I can send in my office preferences by 11:30 AM sharp. The watch sayeth: 12:35. Of the PM. Yes, I know now, thank you. PM means afternoon. So, I sent an email back, hoping against hope that they would be OK. And, they were. Phew. That was close.

Which is way more can be said for another firm. As I was getting ready to apply, I get an email from them thanking me for applying to their XYZ office and that I was a kick-ass superstar etc but their staffing requirements mean that they can't interview with me. The ye olde it's not you, it's me. Ah well, it's better now than after I've bared my soul to you, my someday darlings.

So, I sit here. Closed wireless network miraculously Open again. I should post before the plug is pulled. And, no, the plug has not been pulled on this blog. It's got another 9 months of life at least. I should be posting much more regularly from now on. Wait ... I've said that before too ya ...
Bookmark: del.icio.us

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to have you back:)

03 October, 2006 08:42  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And he's back!!!! Yippie!

03 October, 2006 14:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About time! You need to blog every hour now to make up for lost time, dude.

03 October, 2006 15:47  
Blogger Le Voyageur said...

i'm upset that you've outed my hipness... is that a word? i prefer to stay safely ensconced in the general perception of being a cerebral Chicago geek. ha.

03 October, 2006 23:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home