Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Hello, Mr. Hyde

It's been a while. This quarter, I have finally come to realize what a weight the MBA workload can be. I'm not sure why it took me this long, or why I even got this far actually. I guess it's a mixture of getting more 'into' the curricular aspect of this experience, overloading myself with 5 classes, and a schedule that's so packed in the middle of the week that I spend the weekends going from catching up on lost sleep to getting some extra sleep for the week ahead.

So, how bad is it?

Last tuesday, at around 7 AM, I wake up with a start. Staring at me was the manager of the I-house. 'Is everything OK?', asked Mr. B. It took me a minute, while he looked at me like I was a zombie, to realize that I was actually sleeping on a sofa in the lobby! I was up until 4 AM the previous night/morning working, and discussing Coase, Miller, Nash, and assorted economics with a friend who was studying for a mid-term. After that, I wanted to 'rest' for a bit before finishing up my work - and I guess I had fallen asleep.

Cut to Wednesday at 3 PM. We cut there because that's when I found the time to get some rest, after being up all night Tuesday working on reports for two classes. I get to my room, competely tired from the lack of sleep, and needing a decent power nap before my class at 6 PM. Set the alarm on my phone, pull the shades, and settle in. I wake up soon after, aroused by the ping-ping of someone trying to IM me on my computer. I have no idea why that woke me up. The time: 7:10. I honestly didn't know if it was the morning or evening. That clarified, and an hour late to class, I dressed and was about to run out when I noticed something: There is a Mr. Hyde running around here !

Strewn on my bed was a battery. I didn't recall owning anything of that type, so I looked closer. Turns out it was the battery of my cellphone ! And the back cover was on the floor and the phone itself was under my pillows. Somehow, unbeknownst to me, I had (or I think it was me :-) not only reached across to the table, picked up and turned off the alarm on my phone, but removed the backplate, yanked out the battery, and thrown these guys three different directions ! Weird, I tell you. I have absolutely no recollection of any of this stuff. None what-so-ever !

So, like Opal Mehta in her now-disgraced novel, I need a plan: to Get Kissed, Get Wild, and Get a Life. Maybe I'll start tomorrow. I'm already running late for a meeting.
Bookmark: del.icio.us

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too much Trader Joe's stuff will do that to you ;-)

10 May, 2006 00:09  
Blogger PowerYogi said...

i'll have to find out, ya. Yesterday was the first time i've been to one in chicago. and, my friend invited me to dinner for driving her there ... maybe you'll see me there more often :-)

10 May, 2006 02:31  
Blogger KV said...

I loooove Trader Joes. Bw, glad to see you're still alive :-)

10 May, 2006 09:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well... I thought I was going overboard with my 6 alarms - I should have known better knowing you.

10 May, 2006 13:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home