Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Sing in your own voice

I will always remember what days like today must be for those applicants whose applications were denied by the GSB. I had many of those myself during the application process but, for some weird reason, it was hard to get used to. It hurt every time, as it must, but I am a firm believer that what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

But, one must also keep this in perspective. These results are only the imperfect opinions of a set of people who are looking at a few sheets of paper and have met you for an hour. There was your story, of your own telling, but you had no control of its reading by those who read it. An application failed the race against other applications. It is an inaccurate reflection on the person behind the application. I wish for those who are disappointed today to move on to better things - be it stronger applications for other schools, reapplications, or find something else that sparks those neurons, if that's case.

I was reading Hugh McLeod's manifesto on ChangeThis just now and there was a section titled, Sing in your own voice, that made me think.

Picasso was a terrible colorist. Turner couldn't paint human beings worth a damn. Saul Steinberg's formal drafting skills were appalling. T.S. Eliot had a full-time day job. Henry Miller was a wildly uneven writer. Bob Dylan can't sing or play guitar.

But that didn't stop them, right?

So I guess the next question is, “Why not?”

I have no idea. Why should it?


Good Luck !
Bookmark: del.icio.us

3 Comments:

Blogger PowerYogi said...

I read your blog about going to LBS. I love that school man, was there recently and know a couple of people, and I think it is going to be a fantastic experience. Congratulations !

11 January, 2006 21:29  
Blogger MBABlogger said...

Really thought provoking !! self belief can do wonders

13 January, 2006 03:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thnk you certainly have a career in writing dude..happy interviewing

14 January, 2006 16:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home