Monday, January 30, 2006

Here's to Wisdom

Teeth, and Otherwise.

Early last week, I started to feel bursts of sharp pain in my lower left jaw. It seemed like the entirety of that area of my mouth was going to explode. Too busy to get it checked, I relied on Advil to keep it at bay. I even entertained the thought that it was TMJ, kinda like having a fancy defect. But, alas, it wasn't to be.

I woke up thursday morning in a lot of pain, and skipped class to let it subside. Feeling much better, I attended a make-up section in the afternoon. But, I had to leave half-way and run to the student care center. There, the miracles of the US Healthcare system started to play themselves out. Do you have an appointment? No. Oh. Pause. We can get you one, OK? Sure, but can someone take a look at this now, please. Well, the best we can do is a nurse. The thought of nurses in uniform caused a momentary relief, but this was serious business, so I said OK.

The nurse was kind enough to take one look, and get me a doctor. The doctor took one look and said that I needed to see a dentist, who would presumably take one look and give me a referral to an oral surgeon. So, I called the dentist's office and I was given an appointment. At exactly the same time as my interview today ! SOML. (story of my life - happens so often that I should start using acronyms :) I said No Can Do, so they gave me one for this thursday and advised that I go on an accelerated diet of Advils (600 mg every 6 hours). FIne.

Thursday night was hell. I felt like I should reach in and pull the damn wisdom tooth myself. Wake up friday morning (can i say that - if I haven't really slept thursday night? Hmm.) with half my face swollen. So, I call the dentist's office pleading death by crying if I didn't get this taken care of. So, I get sent to another facility, where a kind dentists did take one look and said that I couldn't wait another day. This was indeed a possibly infected wisdom tooth that needed to be extracted asap. The only oral surgeon available held court in fancy (read: ex-fuckin-pensive) digs in an office tower downtown. Get down there, only to be told that the doctor was busy by a, herself very busy giving grief to a poor boyfriend who hadn't returned her call earlier that day, secretary. I decided to sit it out and as luck would have it, the doctor was indeed less busier than she thought.

The procedure done, I have spent the entire time since then on a diet of wonderous vicodine. Which is all fine, except that I have an interview in less that an hour, and am nowhere close to being in any kind of shape to attend it. At least, I managed to launder a shirt and press my suit. But, I am starving since any attempt to eat solid food has me practising my Owww war-cries. I'm not even sure if I can keep up with two hours of talking.

And, just a while ago, I realized that these guys are going to call me later today to tell me that I bombed the interview, so might as well have my cell phone charged. I plug the charger into the socket on the floor, and as I am about to stand up, bang my head on a rail. Ouch. That hurt. And then I realized that I had to pick up my laundry from the basement. As I was coming up the elevator, the janitor who was cleaning it said: Careful man. Sure thing, I nodded. Yeah, I did slip as I was getting off my floor.

So, here we are folks. Off to an interview. Too much in pain to be bothered with shaking in my boots.

PS: Just realized that medical gauze is pretty cool to use to shine shoes :-)
Bookmark: del.icio.us

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

PY: I will never tire of your stories :)

30 January, 2006 19:06  
Blogger PowerYogi said...

me neither, farbe :-)

30 January, 2006 19:55  
Blogger Le Voyageur said...

Well, your suit was classy and the tie was even better. Even if you bombed the interview, you looked sharp doing it! Perk up, PY, a couple of vicodin and you'll be feelin' no pain... ;)

30 January, 2006 20:57  
Blogger MBABlogger said...

oops that hurt :) Best of luck for the inteview

31 January, 2006 03:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

u have any leftover codeine?

jonathan

01 February, 2006 12:59  
Blogger AKS said...

Awesome blog !!
All the luck for your interviews and i eagerly look forward to more posts.

02 February, 2006 13:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just noticed you have changethis.com on your blogroll...have you read the latest manifesto on dictator bosses ("why your boss is programmed..")...I think the big hole with our MBA programs is they never talk of the pivotal relationship at work..ie boss-subordinate. Everyone should read the manifesto...it's a totally different take on leadership.

03 February, 2006 13:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home