Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Or why I'm like never getting a job. Like, ever.

Get this.
(you might just do one better than me!)

I got an email yesterday inviting me to a dinner tonight with one of the biggie consulting firms. This was to be after a presentation that they were going to have this evening on campus. I showed up all excited early and bright this AM, went to class, another presentation, got some lunch, chatted with friends, and was waiting for said presentation to start. Seeing that I had over an hour to go, I decided to head home for some down time.

Well, down time I did get. A little too much.

I fell asleep !!!!

The presentation was to start at 4:45. Woke up at 5:30. Rushed back to campus, past the company reps at the sign-up-type table looking at me like I just broke a Parisian curfew, and into the hall. Funny thing was, the presentation was still on. And I found myself standing at the back of the room. In the middle of all the other consultants from the company. I'm sure they took more than one mental paparazzi shot of this latecomer. I can see why Closed Lists can be such a power trip. They gonna make be bid for the open list now. Damn.

Things went a little better from there on, I think. Dinner was good, at a nice joint. Too bad I wasn't picking up the check, 'coz the waitress had a smile to put my number down for :)

On the way home, I was thinking of other big-time consulting company that I had met a campus rep twice already over the last few days and hadn't sent a thank-you note yet. I was talking about it to someone earlier too. I came back to the computer with a note composed in my head to send to her. What do you know? Yes, gentle reader. Story of my Life. There was an email from her ! Saying how good it was to meet me, and - get this (i suspect you are) - inviting me to a dinner next week. That's pretty cool. Except, I will have to refuse her invite because I will be leaving town that evening !!

And so we kiss, ever so tenderly, another Closed List goodbye.
Bookmark: del.icio.us

1 Comments:

Blogger PowerYogi said...

Damn!
KV | Homepage | 11.16.05 - 4:02 am | #

-----------------------------------

I don't think you should worry about losing Closed List spots that easily. I hardly networked at all with two of the big consulting firms that come to campus and got on both Closed Lists and then got both offers. I don't think it's such a big deal whether you do the dance right.

Oh yeah, and I sent 0 thank you notes throughout the interview process to two of the big consulting firms I interviewed with and got offers from those two. (Yes, there is some firm overlap with paragraph 1).
Mark | Homepage | 11.16.05 - 3:55 pm | #

-----------------------------------

mark, you're my hero !!

if you believe the grapevine (especially among the bankers here on campus) these closed lists are a beast. I have also been told that the consulting firms aren't all that concerned with relentless schmoozing. I think it's going to work out. It always does
poweryogi | 11.16.05 - 4:27 pm | #

-----------------------------------

People want you! Awesome! I knew there are other people who can't resist you either...
Suzy | Homepage | 11.17.05 - 3:24 am | #

19 November, 2005 02:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home