Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Homeless in my Hometown

There was a plan. Like Always.

And, it's all gone haywire. Like Always :-)

The US Consulate, having issued the Visa in less than a minute, has decided to take its own sweet time in sending me back my passport. I was supposed to be in Mumbai tomorrow along with my mom and we were going to go onwards to Dubai to hook up with dad-man and do some desert-chillin' before I head off to school. My parents are going to be away from Bangalore for the rest of the year so we have rented out our home and a tenant is moving in tomorrow.

So, I have spent all of today running around cancelling tickets and making new reservations. Here you have to deal with travel agents, and tickets are not only to be picked up in person, but cancelled tickets have to be returned to get refunds etcetera. Not so fun. Modified plan is that mom now goes to Hyderabad, and I find myself homeless here. I'll probably bunk at a friend's place until my passport comes in, and depending on when that happens, somehow meet up with my mom in Delhi and fly out from there. I might have to detour through Hyderabad for all I know ! Then, there's a flight from Delhi to Mumbai on my way back. Fun times, only I'm coming to realize that not too many people think of it that way. Definitely not my mom :-) and she's got ample backers in random friends and aunts :-)

The news (conveyed by a voice behind a phone obviously irriated at hearing my voice so many times) is that my passport is still sitting at the consulate. Damn. Drop it in the mail people. Please.

I've hardly done anything else since I've gotten here but Run. First to get all my documents in order, then to Chennai to the consulate and back, and now with all the travel planning stuff. No meeting friends. No making phone calls to people I was supposed to. Sorry guys. Will hopefully catch up before I leave. This evening, I found some time to go to a bookstore. In keeping with the general mood, I picked up a couple of books - From Heaven Lake Travels Through Sinkiang and Tibet by Vikram Seth; and Falling off the Map: Some Lonely Places of the World by Pico Iyer.

I was also tempted to get a copy of What they don't teach you at Harvard Business School, when I realized that if I won't know what they'll teach me at HBS, this might be moot.
Bookmark: del.icio.us

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home