Monday, March 22, 2004

[offTopic] And the prize goes to ...

Zaha Hadid.

who ? I've never heard of her but she just became the first woman to be awarded the Pritzker Prize, architecture's equivalent of the Nobel. She's an Iraqi-born British architect who's widely considered to be the greatest female architect in history, and one of the best today. Turns out she's been awarded a CBE for her services to architecture but ironically hasn't had a single building built in the UK ! Not that she didn't try. She won a design contest to built the Cardiff Bay Opera House in Wales twice but her designs were considered too radical by, of all people, Prince Charles. That design has been called the 'greatest unbuilt masterpiece of the late 20th century' by Architects' Journal.

I had my first non-BWforums, non-email-checking day at work in a long time today. Not that I was busy at work. I just don't feel the need to indulge in the omygawd-no-invite-yet madness on the boards anymore. I've used the afternoon crawling the web looking for stuff about Ms. Hadid's work :-)
Bookmark: del.icio.us

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home