Sunday, February 15, 2004

Jet-lagged Rambling

"Both hands ?"
"Yes"
"OK"

Time to give this guy the finger - the right index one, that is. Then the left index finger. This is me being put through the fingerprinting and photo routine for aliens at Logan airport earlier this afternoon. It was over in under a minute while the officer in charge was stamping my passport. If they have to do it, this is definitely the way to go. Good job.

I, however, didn't do a good job of hanging on to my luggage and lost a book somewhere in the airport. I am mucho pissed because I had around 30 pages to go and now I'm left with an unfinished story in my head ... I was reading Choker Bali by Rabindranath Tagore. A very interesting book, even though a lot of the original passion has probably been lost in the book's translation from Bengali, the language in which it was written.

Among other things, India is a great place to shop for books. Most are available in Indian-editions for around $5. I showed up opening day last friday at CrossWord, a swanky new bookstore in downtown Bangalore to pick up a few paperbacks. It's been months since I sat down with a book that wasn't a GMAT prep guide or a school brochure. So, for those interested, this is my spring lineup:

* The Alchemist * Paulo Coelho
// this one is long overdue
* riot * Shashi Thiroor
// never read the guy before. but it's written in a very interesting format. the entire book is laid out as collection of journal entries, newspaper clipping, police reports etc. cool. i only hope there is substance to back up the style.
* The last juror * John Grisham
// i had no choice. i'm a grisham groupie, i buy anything he writes. sad, no ?
* The namesake * Jhumpa Lahiri
// this one i HAD to buy. After I read her first book, Interpreter of Maladies, I was convinced there couldn't be anything more beautiful. then, I saw her picture.
* The diary of a young girl * Anne Frank
// yes, I have not read her amazing tale yet.
* choker bali * Ravindranath Tagore
// Tagore, for those who don't know, is one of India's greatest sons, a nobel prize winner for literature. Alas, i lost this book before i could complete it.
Bookmark: del.icio.us

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home