Wednesday, November 26, 2003

Recommender woes fixed

Hmmm ... just noticed something. The blogger interface is completely different on Safari. I thought initially that they changed something, but realized that I've never used Safari to blog earlier. The Netscape/IE interfaces are unchanged. Anyways, as long as the blog is published alright, I'm happy.

Quiet day at work, so got out of work early without much stress and can start to put some time tonight into my Tuck essays. Had dinner last night with a friend who works in a firm managing investments worth a couple of billion dollars (his team of 6 does, actually). Very interesting to learn about the differences in IB, PE, VC, LBO. It's not my area of interest so I haven't had the time to research. The more I learn about the work, pressures, lifestyles of IB etc I don't think the hectic, though cash-loaded, world of this profession is my cup of tea.

But, Moroccan mint tea at Tangierino I highly recommend. And the filet mignon was to die for.

My final recommender is all set. It was the same person I had the awkward conversation with. Thought this through and decided that he is probably in the best position to judge me and my abilities. Had a conversation with him, and he was eager to give me a rec. Though he did say that it was a surprise to know I was thinking about an MBA. He said that it was because I was so good at what I do (not such a bad thing !) and asked me about my reasons for wanting an MBA. He said that he could see the reasons, and one feedback he did have for me was that I should learn to delegate more (it's an engineer thing I guess). He is aware that deadlines are end of the year so I hope the recs will get there in time.

So, I have three recommenders lined up
1> my current boss
2> an ex-boss who I have worked very closely with
3> a curious kind of reference - it's a manager of a group within my company who qualify our software. I'm hoping it is going to be kind-of a client/customer reference since we treat them as such and may be a unique perspective.
Bookmark: del.icio.us