Tuesday, November 25, 2003

First Steps

Something funny with the Tuck registration system for interviews. When I checked earlier today there were a number of slots open and I wanted to reschedule my interview which is for early next week. Then later this evening, I logged on, cancelled my appt and went back to the schedule and a lot of dates showed up as filled or waitlisted. Scrambled to get my original appointment back.

Now that I know I have to face an interview in a few days, I'm starting to get my act together. I don't know how everybody else starts to attack their essays but I've been having serious issues. Spent the weekend trying to work on Stanford's essay #2 first since it is so general and can be used as a base for the others but I had so much trouble getting my thoughts together down on paper. I've been thinking about this for the better part of last week - but it's like the thoughts were lost !

So, today I got home and after dinner started pacing around my room talking aloud simulating an interview response to a question. Pretty soon I was into it, and started taking notes. After an hour's talking, I have a couple of pages of notes. I was trying to answer one question in my imaginary interview and the 'conversation' went all over the place from there. As I read my notes back, I seem to have answers down on paper for what I want to do after my MBA, what the technology industry is going to look a few years down the line and why I should get an MBA now. Now I need to talk to (pun intended) why the choices I made have led to my position now and piece the career progression leading to an MBA part together. Have to meet some friends for drinks tomorrow night but hope to come home and start working on that. I am a night person - don't seem to get my brain fired before 10 pm. That would be swell if I didn't have to wake up at 7 tomorrow morning for work. sigh !

The other piece of research I need to do tomorrow is for the Why X ? part of the question. A student at MIT advised me to work on the Sloan app the second because the first app is always going to have some holes you can better the second time around. Wanted to start with Stanford and then go on to Tuck, but time, or the lack thereof, dictates that Tuck is the first one out of the gate. I should have an early draft of my FIRST mba application essay written tomorrow - that's my goal.

Buenas Noches.
Bookmark: del.icio.us